Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Big 25

The second most significant event in 2006 was the celebration of my 25th birthday. Typically, I am not really a big fan of my birthdays. I usually stay low key and have a small get together with my family just out of the courtesy. I mean let’s face it, you are just one year closer to your demise, how can that possibly be a celebrated and happy event, but you do feel special on this day and all the attention is on you so I can understand why people love it.

25 is a big one, quarter of a century! I had to do something. I put the word out that I will be celebrating up in Niagara Falls for the entire weekend, hotel, liquor, and all the other fun stuff. It so happened that my birthday fell on Easter weekend, so a lot of people could not make it, which I understood. My birthday and the holiday of Jesus on the same night! There was no way I was going to reschedule, it was monumental, and it was a sign that this year was going to be a turnaround year for me. Out of the people that could make it, a very close circle of friends from Cleveland and my very close friend from Chicago came up to Canada to share the special moment with me. I was disappointed about one other person who was supposed to show up, a close friend from high school, but he didn’t really care much for it so I had to get over it and enjoy myself regardless.

We ended up driving up there in separate cars and stayed at the Embassy which is the best hotel out there because of the amazing views of the falls. I got a bottle of Crisy and for the first time tasted the delicious bubbles that every rapper speaks off in their songs. I remember we were advertising the shit out of it by taking pictures like we had stock in that bitch. You know we just chilled all weekend, went out to eat, played some golf, hit up the bars, checked out the falls, hung out at the suite drinking and chopping shit up, walked around on Clifton Hill.

On Saturday my friends arranged a very nice surprise for me by getting reservations in the restaurant and turns on top of the tower that overlooks the falls. I can’t remember the name of it, but it was a pretty awesome experience. I can actually say that there was no major drama that weekend as we all handled ourselves like civilized adults, compared to some of the other hotel parties that I have been part of, it was a definite delight.

On the way back home we watched family guy which made the time go by really fast. I got home and had to drop my friend off back at the airport and then come home for the continuation of my birthday celebration with my family which was actually on Sunday the 16th.

Overall, it was a memorable experience because it was an intimate and modest celebration that included the best of the best out of my life’s relationships. I was happy that weekend, happy to be alive and thriving at age 25 with full support of my family and friends by my side.

No comments: